Welcome to Northwestern Polytechnic University Housing page! You are about to begin one of the most exciting and challenging experiences of your lifetime. If you are an international student or just moved to the area, you will be in a new environment with new people, decisions, and responsibilities. University Housing can help you through this transition as well as better enable you to take full advantage of all the resources the University has to offer. You have a wonderful opportunity to learn more about yourself, others, and the community around you while living in an NPU home.
Our staff is ready to assist you in making your experience at NPU a rewarding one! Most importantly, we are dedicated to making your life easier by offering the absolute highest level of housing services.
Please note that housing availability is on a "first come, first serve" basis.
How do I apply for housing?
Apply through your student portal to guarantee your spot in the NPU housing community.
Tel: (510) 592-9688 ext 10
Fax: (510) 789-1234
- Double room with one or more bathrooms
- Fully Furnished
- Study Areas
- Laundry Room
- Window Blinds
- Reading Desks, Chairs
- Dining Table, Chairs
- Private Balcony or Yard
- High-Speed Internet Connection
- Full Kitchen with Stove, Refrigerator, Garbage Disposal, Dishwasher and Microwave
Within walking distance of housing and NPU campus
- Food Supermarkets: Safeway, Lion Supermarket, 99 Ranch Market, and Marina Food
- Pharmacies and Convenience Stores: Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy, 7-11, Circle K
- Restaurants: KFC, Burger King, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Subway, Roundtable Pizza, Denny’s, Starbucks, and many others
- Banks: Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Citibank, Cathay Bank, HBC
- Department Stores: Walmart, Ross
- Postal Services: U.S. Post Office, FedEx, UPS
- Medical Services: Washington Clinic Medical Services
- Public Transportation: Buses ACT/SCVT, Trains; Altamont Communter Express, Bay Area Transit BART, Amtrak
- Ride Share: Uber, Lyft, and local Taxis
and much more!
NPU Apartment Fee Information (effective 2020 Spring Trimester)
- $3,000 per trimester
- Double unit
- Full-Size Appliances
- Wireless Internet
- Washer & Dryer
Housing units are limited and available on a "first-come, first-served", trimester-by-trimester basis. Late housing applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
NPU Housing will notify you by email, at the email address listed above, should NPU grant you university housing.
NPU shall not be responsible for any delays, failures in delivery, or consequences resulting from a delay or failure in delivery of email to the email address listed above.
In order to fully secure your housing space, you must pay both the security deposit ($500) and trimester housing fee in full by the end of Week 13 of the current trimester (please see the NPU Housing Calendar). For those that receive notification of a housing grant after the Week 13 deadline, the security deposit and trimester rent are due immediately. NPU may offer the spot to another student on the waitlist if you fail to pay the amounts listed above by the appropriate deadline.
In the event you fail to pay or otherwise cancel after NPU grants you a housing space, but prior to the Housing Opening Date, NPU shall charge you a cancellation fee of $100. This cancellation fee is separate from any amounts that NPU does not refund to you in accordance with the housing fee refund schedule. You are strongly advised to only apply for housing if you plan to accept the housing space, if granted to you.
Eligible students may renew their NPU housing agreement and reside in university housing for up to a maximum of three total trimesters of residency.
Important reminder: University Apartments have limited space and reservations are on a first-come first-served basis
Year of 2021
Spring 2021 Deadlines
Housing Applications - December 16th 2020
Move in - January 2nd 2021
Move out - April 23rd 2021
Summer 2021 Deadlines
Housing Applications - April 15th 2021
Move in - April 29th 2021
Move out - August 22nd 2021
Fall 2021 Deadlines
Housing Applications - August 7th, 2021
Move in - August 24th, 2021
Move out - December 18th, 2021
Year of 2022
Spring 2022 Deadlines
Housing Applications - December 15th 2022
Move in - January 3rd 2022
Move out - April 23rd 2022
Summer 2022 Deadlines
Housing Applications - April 13th 2022
Move in - May 2nd 2022
Move out - August 20th 2022
Fall 2022 Deadlines
Housing Applications - August 1st, 2022
Move in - August 24th, 2022
Move out - December 15th, 2022
To continue living in the University Apartments, you must apply and prepay the rent for a renewal of housing residency by the deadlines below
Year of 2021
Housing Renewal Application - March 20th 2021
Housing Renewal Application - July 20th 2021
Housing Renewal Application - November 6th, 2021
Year of 2022
Housing Renewal Application - March 18th 2022
Housing Renewal Application - July 15th 2022
Housing Renewal Application - November 3rd, 2022
In accordance with its mission statement, the NPU housing department has established the following rules and regulations in order to make dormitory life pleasant and safe for all students. These regulations have been established to ensure the safety and quiet enjoyment of the property by all residents. Students residing in University housing are required to sign a lease and a room condition form upon move-in and move-out. All NPU students must observe and obey the guidelines listed below. Failure to abide by these policies may result in the forfeit of rent payments and deposits and may result in fines or other disciplinary action, up to and including a loss of housing privileges
Students are responsible for keeping their rooms clean and neat in all areas; they are to avoid causing any damage to their rooms and furnishings. All students sharing a dormitory should share the responsibilities of the common areas. When a student is assigned to a dormitory, it is understood that the assignment carries with it an obligation to protect University property. A student who violates the dormitory rules stated below or who intentionally or carelessly destroys dormitory may be fined in an amount proportionate the damage and may also receive a warning notice; the resident will be asked to move out from the dorm after receiving two warning notices from the housing department.
The NPU housing department will be checking the dorms regularly in order to maintain good services and good condition of the dormitory. The University has the authority to take necessary steps to protect residents and properties.
Specific dormitory regulations include:
- Overnight guests may not stay in the dormitory.
- School furniture may not be removed from the dormitory. Such furniture may also not be moved around in the dormitory, or to a location outside the dormitory. Students need to inform the NPU housing department and get approval in advance for moving personal furniture into the dormitory. Other students who do not reside in the assigned dormitory may not borrow furniture or leave any personal furniture. Working desks should not be moved from the common area. Removal of furniture from the dormitory or common area will result in fines.
- Additional beds are not allowed. Additional beds other than those provided by the University as normal furniture are not permitted in the dormitories. Students may not build loft-type beds or other structures.
- Beds may not be disassembled. Bed frames, box springs and mattresses, mattress covers, and head and footboards should not be removed.
- Window screens and doors to rooms, bathrooms, and closets may not be removed.
- Only removable plastic adhesive should be used to attach decorations to the walls. Students should see the housing staff for details on the permissible items used for wall decoration and other adhesive materials. Use of nails or tape is not allowed.
- Students must not mark or mar walls, doors, or carpets. Decals or contact paper should not be attached to walls, doors, windows, ceilings, or room furnishings.
- Students may not tamper with electrical fixtures and built-in furniture or utilities.
- The Office of Operations may not install window air conditioners in student rooms without written permission. If permission is granted, a cost for installation is the student’s responsibility.
- Students are not allowed access to rooftops for any purpose.
- Needed repairs should be reported to the NPU housing staff and should not be attempted by the students.
- Students may not display neon lights, commercial signs, or generally offensive material from their dormitory room windows.
- Students MUST attend housing orientation upon initial move-in.
- Along with other types of vandalism, intentional breaking of glass (bottles, windows, etc.) is prohibited and will result in fines and or loss of dormitory privileges.
Installation for Personal Convenience
- Installations added for personal convenience, such as telephone, cable TV and other electronic devices are the responsibility of the student and must be first approved by the housing department. Costs of such installations are the responsibility of the student.
Internet Networking Usage
- The primary purpose of each dormitory computer networking internet device is to support student academic activity or research and study on course subject-related information. No guarantees are made regarding speed or ability to use services such as internet music, television programs, movies, streaming, online chatting, Skype, webcams, gaming platforms (e.g. X-Box, Playstation) etc.
- Residents are not permitted to tamper with dormitory networking equipment or devices including firewalls, routers, wireless access points, etc. In addition, DSL accounts of each dormitory belong to NPU and no student is allowed to make changes or cancel program/term/account information.
- Any student preferring to install his own internet connection must get approval from the NPU housing department. Students failing to obtain proper approval will be responsible for costs associated with restoring the original internet connection.
- Excessive or improper use of bandwidth or internet networking software that disrupts, inhibits or interferes with other users is not permitted.
Rents and Deposits
- Rents and deposits are prepaid as required by each student’s lease. Students will be notified by NPU housing staff of the deadline for rent and deposit payments prior to each trimester. Students using the school housing units are required to pay a security deposit in the amount of $500 for staying in the units.
Renewing Housing for the Dormitory
- Only qualified residents may renew housing for the NPU dormitory. Applications for renewal of housing residency for each trimester must be received by week 5 of the then-current trimester. The student must submit the renewal housing application form for each new semester. The deadline to pay the renewal rent is by 11:00 am on Monday of week six of the trimester prior to the trimester for which the amount is being paid.
Withdraw and Refund
- The security deposit is fully refundable for cancellations prior to the Housing Opening Date, as listed for each trimester in NPU’s housing calendar. If the student moves in to university housing, the security deposit is refundable, but may be subject to certain deductions as authorized by law (e.g., cleaning, repair of damages, restoration/replacement of furniture, furnishings, or other items).
Below is the housing fee refund schedule.
- Cancellation at least 45 days prior to Housing Opening Date: The housing fee, less $150.
- Cancellation between 15 and 45 days prior to the Housing Opening Date: The housing fee, less $900.
- Cancellation 15 days or less prior to the Housing Opening Date: The housing fee, less $1400.
- Cancellation on or after the Housing Opening Date: No refund.
Please note that there is a cancellation fee of $100 if students cancel prior to the Housing Opening Date but after NPU grants a housing space. This fee is separate from any housing fee amounts that NPU does not refund as described above.
Additionally, please note that a student who fails to complete the course registration process by 5 P.M. on Saturday of the first week of the trimester will not be permitted to reside in university housing and will be expected to vacate university housing immediately unless such student is an international student on official trimester break. NPU will not refund the housing fee for students vacating after failing to register. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the foregoing, NPU may at its discretion decide whether or not a student is permitted to reserve or occupy a space in university housing.
NOTE: Checking in is between 8am - 6pm, Monday through Friday and on University's business days only. If students arrive outside of this time frame, students must make arrangements on their own to stay somewhere else and check in during the above indicated time.
Students staying in the Classic dormitory may use the dorm only for the first trimester at NPU and must move out at the end of the trimester. Qualified residents may renew leases for the NPU dormitory for a maximum of one year. NPU’s housing department is available to assist students looking for off-campus accommodations.
- Early moving out - No refund of rent shall be granted if a student moves out prior to the end of a lease term. The student may move out early, but NPU requires two weeks advance notice. The dorm fee is for the entire trimester; the student has the right to live in the dorm from the dorm opening day to the dorm closing day. NPU’s obligation is to assure the dorm space for students for the entire trimester. Students who transfer to another school remain obligated to pay rent through the end of their lease term.
- Cleanliness Requirement: Upon moving out of the dorm, students must clean up the dorm and leave rooms in a clean and orderly manner. The rooms must be inspected by the NPU housing staff and a checkout form must be completed before the student departs. All items belonging to the dormitory at the time of the student’s moving into the dorm must still be accounted for and in their original condition, regular wear and tear excepted. If the student fails to abide by the terms of this paragraph, a fine or reduction of the security deposit may be assessed.
- Returning Keys: Students need to return the keys on the date that the housing office informs the student to move out. Returning keys late will result in a $10/day fine to the student.
Rights Held by the University
The University reserves the right:
- Of entry by authorized personnel for inspection, repair, emergency, or for any other appropriate reasons, such as after receiving report of suspected violations of University conduct or regulations. No early notification is needed.
- To levy and collect charges for damage to or unauthorized use of the dorm, or alterations to room or other items in the dorm.
- To remove unauthorized or improperly used equipment.
- To reassign, evict, or levy fines against students who violate these rules, regulations, and policies.
Students are expected to observe the following fire code regulations. Violators of these regulations are subject to disciplinary action, including fines and payment of any damages:
- For the protection of residents, dormitories are equipped with smoke and fire detection and prevention devices. Tampering with the smoke detector and alarm system or with fire extinguishers is a violation of rules as well as a violation of the City fire code.
- Hallways must be kept clear at all times. Furniture and personal belongings such as bicycles, trunks, boxes, and drying racks may not be placed in the hallways.
- Ceiling hangings of any description are not permissible as they interfere with the proper function of the fire/smoke detection and prevention devices.
- No lighting or heating device which produce an open flame is allowed in the dormitory. This includes candles and kerosene lamps. Hot plates, toaster ovens, auxiliary heaters, hot irons and coffee pots should not be placed on the carpet or other flammable surfaces.
- Cardboard boxes and boxes of like materials may not be stored in places in the dormitories where gas water heaters are present.
- Bicycles are not allowed in dormitory common areas, halls, stairwells, or where they obstruct exits. They should be stored only in designated bike storage areas.
- Personal refrigerators are not allowed to be installed in student rooms.
Students of the opposite sex are not assigned to and may not arrange to live together in the same dorm.
- Common areas in the dormitories are provided to the residents as spaces in which they may congregate outside their personal rooms. They are places of gathering, used for dorm meetings, movie and television viewing, group studying, and as a place for relaxation. Residents must be respectful of the rights of other students who share these spaces, and must be mindful of the noise generated. Quiet hour policies apply at all times (9:00PM to 8:00AM).
- Common spaces must NOT be used for any activity which restricts any resident’s use of the common areas, or for an activity that results in the violation of University policies.
- Access must be limited to residents and their guests; a resident must always accompany guests. No overnight guest is allowed in the dormitory.
- In order to secure the right of students to read and to study free from unreasonable noise and other distractions, the University has asked the students in each dorm to respect "quiet hours," which are designated evening hours during which the residents are expected to observe quiet behavior. Daily quiet hours are from 9:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. During Midterm Examination and Final Examination weeks, students will be requested to respect other students at all times.
- Students living in dormitories may not keep pets anywhere on the property. Substantial fines may be imposed for violations of this policy.
- Smoking is not allowed in the dormitories or within the property (including the garage or the front and back yard or deck/patio). If housing staff members find any evidence of smoking such as cigarette butts within the dorm, the student may be asked to move out immediately and a fine may be assessed.
No Alcohol Use
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in dormitory. Opened containers of alcoholic beverages (including cups) are forbidden within the dorm, premises, and property. If the housing staff members find any alcoholic bottles, containers, or cans within the above areas, the student may be asked to move out immediately and a fine may be assessed.
- The University and housing department does not permit dormitory room parties. If housing staff members receive a complaint from neighbors or the property manager, the student may be asked to move out immediately and a fine may be assessed.
- The dorm spaces are allocated by NPU housing staff and NPU owns all dorm spaces. Students are not allowed to sublease the room to any other persons. If housing staff members discover a sublease, the student’s housing privileges may be forfeited and the student may be asked to move out immediately.
- In the event that an individual living in NPU housing becomes aware of a room being subleased it is expected that such individual shall report the existence of the sublease immediately to a member of NPU housing staff.
- There is a $10 key service fee each time a student needs assistance to open the door. Any lost key must be reported immediately so that the locks can be re-corded and residents of the unit can be issued a new key. The charge of re-cording locks (includes main entrance door and room door) and new key copies will depend on the actual receipt provided by a locksmith after the work is done.
- University insurance does not cover personal losses. Students should take precautions to protect personal belongings from theft, fire, water damage, or other loss. Students are required to purchase their own rental insurance.
- NPU reserves the right to make changes to dorm settings or reassign dorm spaces during the break time. (Break time: from dorm closing day to the next dorm opening day between trimesters.) Please go to the NPU housing website to check the Housing Calendar for break times and move-in and move-out dates.
CraigsList - A very comprehensive listing of apartments and houses for rent. Rooms are available and listed as well.
Rent.com - Apartment rentals; search by city.
Apartments.com - Apartment rentals: search by number of rooms, city.
Zillow.com - Houses for rent, mobile homes, sales, apartments - large search criteria.
Please note: Because off-campus housing offers are by individuals and companies not affiliated with NPU, the University assumes no responsibility for housing arrangements made through these services. If you need assistance with off-campus housing, please discuss with an NPU housing officer for advice on how lease agreements and housing contracts work in the U.S.